Posters & Wall Newspapers
The Gordon W. Prange Collection is the most comprehensive archive in the world of Japanese print publications issued during the early years of the Occupation of Japan, 1945-1949. Among its nearly 21 million pages of holdings, are posters and wall newspapers. The posters and wall newspapers have been digitized and can be searched here.
Moving and Zooming
- Icons that allow you to move around the newspaper viewer and zoom in and out are located in the lower right corner of the screen.
- The plus and minus icons allow you to zoom in and out, making the image on the screen appear larger or smaller.
- The directional arrows that appear around the house icon allow you to move around the screen. You can also move around the screen by clicking anywhere within the newspaper viewer, holding, and dragging the image to the desired area.
- Clicking the house icon will reset the image to its original position.
- Image View displays one page of the paper at a time.
- Book View displays two pages simultaneously.
- Scroll View allows you to use your mouse to move the pages of the issue from side-to-side.
- Gallery View facilitates selection of individual pages of each issue.
- Clicking on the "i" information icon displays basic information, or metadata, about each issue.
- The diagonal arrows at the top right of the screen allow you to toggle back and forth between the full screen view of the newspaper viewer.
Hovering your mouse over an article will highlight it green. Click on the article to open the article text in a pane on the left of side of the screen. You can highlight and copy the article text from this pane. Toggle the side panel open and closed by clicking the side panel icon.
- The icon second down from the top left of the screen allows you to rotate the image 90 degrees to the left or right; adjust the brightness, contrast, and saturation; toggle grayscale; change background colors from light to dark; and automatically reset the image.
- Portions of individual pages may be downloaded and saved for later reference by using the clipping tool, the third icon down from the top left of the screen. Click on this icon, then click and drag on the portion of the page you wish to save. Dragging will create a box around the area of the page that will be downloaded. You can readjust the size and position of the box if needed. Once the box is in the desired position, click the checkmark to save your selection as a .jpg file. If you wish to cancel your selection, click on the X to get rid of the box and start over.
The University of Maryland Libraries do not hold copyright over the majority of its collections. Researchers are solely responsible for determining whether they need to seek permission to publish materials from these collections and for securing that permission from the copyright holder.
We request that citations from Gordon W. Prange Collection materials contain the credit line:
Gordon W. Prange Collection, University of Maryland Libraries
Questions regarding these materials may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. To locate additional digitized UMD Libraries' materials, please visit http://digital.lib.umd.edu.
- Book and magazine posters, Japanese (1)
- Book industries and trade--Exhibitions (1)
- Eye--Examination, Japanese (1)
- Labor unions, Japanese (2)
- Lectures and lecturing (2)
- Lettering (1)
- Local government publications, Japanese (3)
- Political posters, Japanese (12)
- Posters in education, Japanese (30)
- Public health posters, Japanese (9)
- Safety posters, Japanese (4)
- Trade shows (2)
- Wall newspapers (208)