At the Research Commons, we compile resources to support high-level and expand the boundaries of the traditional library.
We connect and support university researchers in core areas such as: research organization, statistical and geospatial analysis, and data visualization by providing spaces and services that meet and exceed user needs.
Here, you'll find an overview of our specialized services, as well as numerous other sources to aid your research journey.
GIS and Spatial Data Center’s mission is to support all GIS users (students/faculty/staff/affiliates) affiliated with the College Park campus. Our services are free of charge and include:
- workshops on GIS
- image processing
- statistics topics
- customized guest lectures and course support
- faculty collaboration and project support
- one-on-one consultations on all aspects of geospatial research and teaching
Need help using the University Libraries? Subject specialist librarians are here for you! Visit the Subject Specialist Directory today to recieve one-on-one research assistance online, in-person, or over the phone.Departmental Faculty Representatives and Library Liaisons.
Statistical consulting is free to all members of the UMD research community (undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, staff), in all departments and disciplines. We provide assistance to the campus research community, via email and through in-person consultation in the following areas:
- Explaining statistical concepts
- Selection of statistical procedures
- Use of statistical software
- Data clean and analysis
- Interpretation of results
- Research design
- Survey design and sampling method
- We currently specialize in SAS, SPSS, R, and can also provide support on Survey Design and Analysis.
We can facilitate access to datasets and text corpora for UMD researchers. We can help you locate data sources, negotiate for access, and, in some cases, purchase or license data. We can also help you find relevant literature and technologies for managing, analyzing, and visualizing data.
- Choose the best review methodology to fit your timeline, question scope and discipline
- Suggest relevant databases for searching the scholarly and grey literature
- Design complex search strategies for specific databases
- Use citation management software for organizing references (e.g. Zotero and Endnote)
- Use article screening and selection tools (e.g. Rayyan)
Consult a specialist
Subject Specialist Librarians are here to help you in finding materials for your research and assist with other library-related services.
Access, Borrow, Request
At University Libraries, you have access to facilities, electronic resources, and physical materials to assist in research needs.
A few helpful, innovative tools to aid in successful research
Creating Effective Research AssignmentsIt helps to be mindful when designing assignments with a research component.
Librarian Instruction Sessions
Information Literacy instruction sessions cover a range of concepts including:
- Navigating library databases
- Locating open access and government publications through the world wide web
- Evaluating information resources for credibility
- Integrating sources into research papers and projects
- Citing and managing sources using free-source tools such as Zotero,
- Sharing new knowledge through our institutional repository DRUM.