Why should I cite my sources?
- Citations help increase your credibility and reinforce your arguments.
- It's necessary to give the creator proper credit and to allow other researchers to find the research you used.
- There are serious repercussions for failing to follow citing conventions.
The NCSU Libraries' Tutorial can help you get a more detailed idea about how and why to cite your sources.
Need help managing your citations for a larger research project?
Citation management tools allow you to store, organize, and export citations according to whatever style you need.
See the Citation Tools LibGuide for more info on using citation managers.
Visit our Open Learning Catalog to enroll in short courses developed by specialists that cover some of the most popular research management tools.
Where can I get help with writing?
Struggling to successfully incorporate sources into your research? These are some resources on campus that can help.
The Writing Center offers free one-on-one consultation for all stages of the composition process, as well as provides workshops and handouts.
- You can schedule an appointment online, by phone, or by visiting the Writing Center in person during business hours.
The Graduate School Writing Center offers consultations, workshops, and other resources to assist graduate students with research and writing.
- Consultations are by appointment only, and can be requested online.