The books, e-books, articles and many more items are searchable from the Librarires' main webpage.
CAJ is the most comprehensive, full-text database of Chinese journals in the world. CAJ Series F, G, H, and J contain more than 3,200 journals. In subject areas of literature, philosophy, history, archeology, music, arts, sports, folk custom, language; politics military, and law; education etc.
PerioPtath is an online index and a periodical article delivery service. It contains the article information of approximately 2,600 titles of Chinese and Western language periodicals published in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau from 1991.
The network includes three bibliographic databases: NBINet Union Catalog (Taiwan), Chinese Publications in China and Chinese rare books.
The system contains over 280,000 records of dissertations and theses in all subject fields. Each record includes bibliographic information as well as abstract, table of contents and reference. Quan quo bo shuo shi lun wen zi xun wang: Dissertation and Thesis Abstract System (Taiwan)
China Infobank is one of the most authoritative sources of China related information and currently comprises over 7 million business reports and articles - a figure which is increasing daily. It provides a range of economic, business, scientific and governmental data to business and research.
The comprehensive dictionary of Chinese.
China Daily is the national English-language newspaper and is one of the most authoritative newspapers in the country. It serves as a key reference point for overseas media and society. The newspaper has an average daily circulation of more than 400,000 in 150 countries and regions. Two-thirds of China Daily’s readers are government officials, think tanks and decision-makers as well as top executives from multinational corporations.
The People's Daily, published worldwide with a circulation of 3 to 4 million is one of china's daily news paper. This paper is an organ of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China. People's daily provides direct information on the policies and viewpoints of China. Available in Chinese, English, Japanese, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Korean.
As an agency directly under the State Council, the National Bureau of Statistics is in charge of statistics and economic accounting in China.
China's State Archives Administration holds chinese historical records and other historical information dating back to the imperial dynasties.
National Archives Administration of Taiwan has been established since November of 2001, which has laid a legitimate foundation and has contributed to the field of public records significantly.
Understanding Hanyu pinyin (汉语/漢語拼音)
Before you start searching catalog for Chinese materials, you need to know how to romanize Chinese characters. As same as all the other libraries in North America, the Library use Hanyu pinyin (汉语/漢語拼音) as the standard romanization system for Chinese language.
Basic Search on Catalog
If you look for the item for which you know the title, author or subject, you may search catalog by "Title beginning with...", "Author beginning with..." or "Subject beginning with...":
- Title beginning with... Type in a book or periodical title in pinyin, starting from the first character. For example, type in "she diao ying xiong zhuan" to find 射雕英雄传/傳, or type in "yi ge ren de sheng jing" to find 一个人的圣经/一個人的聖經.
- Author beginning with... Type in the personal and corporate name that appears as the author, e.g. type in “jin yong” to find all the works by 金庸, or “zhongguo guo min dang” to find all the works by 中国国民党/中國國民黨. You should follow “family name-space-given name’ in order when you type in a personal name, and remember that multi-character personal names or place names are joined in Pinyin, such as “gao xingjian’ (高行健) or “zhongguo” (中国/國). Also, be aware that there are a few Chinese personal names not romanized in pinyin, such as “sun yat-sen” (孙/孫中山), “chiang kai shek”(蒋介石) and “lee teng-hui” (李登辉/輝). Keep it in mind that you will get the works not only in Chinese but also in other languages if you search by author. But you can limit your search to Chinese works only with advanced search (see below).
- Subject beginning with... Type in a main heading from the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), followed by subheadings for more precise results, e.g. type in “China history Tang dynasty” (for China - History - Tang dynasty, 618-907 in LCSH) to find all the works about Chinese history during Tang dynasty. LC Subject Headings are basically English words but those of Chinese name or title headings could be in pinyin. For example, if you want to search for the works about 红楼梦/ 紅樓夢, just simply type in “hong lou meng” as a subject. Remember that when you type in a Chinese personal name as a subject, e.g. 鲁/魯迅, you are searching for the works about the person but not by the person. Also, as same as a search by author, you will retrieve the works in other languages than Chinese with a search by subject.
If you do not have any full titles, author names or subject headings in your mind, you may search catalog by keywords, the words in title, author, subject or anywhere.
- Title word/s A title word could be any Chinese character in pinyin. However, searching by Chinese character in titles alone does not work well sometimes. Since the homonym problem with pinyin, you can get meaningful outcome only if the title contains more enough Chinese characters with fewer homonyms. For example, it will be good if you type in “wen hua da ge ming” to find the books with the title containing 文化大革命 (cultural revolution). But if you type in “zhongguo li shi” for 中国 历史/中國歷史, you will get too many hits and many of them are not related to Chinese history at all. To solve this problem, you need to search the words as word phrase(s) and/or add keyword(s) in other fields such as subject (see “Advanced search” below).
- Subject word/s Search by subject word(s) if you are not able to follow LC hierarchical main headings and subheadings in order. For example, you can just type in “Tang history” instead of “China history Tang dynasty”, which is used in “Subject beginning with”. But you will get more hits, including the works about literatures, arts and other subject fields related to Tang dynasty.
- Word/s anywhere If you want to get a book for which you know some words from the title, author and/or subject, you may search it by word/s anywhere to get more relevant hits. For example, you can type in “tang (title or subject) history (subject) chen (author)” to retrieve all the books about Tang history written by 陈/陳寅恪.
Advanced Search(word search) on Catalog
Select Advanced Search Option on the "yellow bar" on the top of the screen.
- Using "two word phrase" instead of "words"
Using two word phrases instead of separated words to reduce irrelevant hits. If you search “li shi” (历/歷史, history) in title as two word phrase, for example, you will get less but more relevant hits compared to search as words (“li” and “shi”).
- Combining words using Boolean operators
- AND - Retrieves the items that contain all of word phases or words connected with AND. The word phases or words could be in the same or different fields. For example, you can type in “tang shi” (唐史 not 唐诗 /詩) as a word phase in title and “history” as a word in subject to retrieve the books about Tang history but not Tang poems.
- OR - Retrieves the items that contain any of word phases or words connected with OR. For example, type in “fo jiao”, “fo jia” and “fo xue” in title as word phase and connect them with OR to get all books contain “佛教”, “佛家” or “佛学/學” in title. When you are not sure if琼/瓊瑶 is separated two words or joined one word, for another example, just type in “qiong yao” as word phase in one field and “qiongyao” as word in another field and combine them with operator OR. You will get all the items written by琼/ 瓊瑶 no matter the romanized author name is separated or joined.
- NOT - Retrieves the items that contain some word phases or words but not others connected with NOT. Again, the word phases or words could be in the different fields. For example, if you are looking for the works about Three Kingdoms history but not fiction such as 《三国演义》, you can type in “china history three kingdoms” as a word phase firstly in “subject” field and “fiction” secondly in “subject” fields and combine
- Limit search by format, language, location and year/s It is always good to limit your search by language or location if you are looking for Chinese materials only, especially when searching word phases or words are author or subject.