History of the Book Collections
Materials ranging from a hobbyists collection to a press operated by Benedictine nuns, these volumes cover a wide range of topics related to the impact of the printed book in society. Some collections are searchable using WorldCatUMD while others can be found by using the links below or by searching Archival Collections.
The multi-talented William Morris inspired this collection of various types of materials. This collection contains publications from the Kelmscott Press, ephemera, manuscripts, books, and auction and dealer catalogs.
The 150 volumes in this collection date from 1902 to 1987 and include epherma, books about Dwiggins and books designed, written and illustrated by Dwiggins himself.
This collection consists of materials from Maurice Annenberg's personal library, including books, periodicals, type foundry catalogs, and printing and paper samples.
In addition to the approximately 300 books printed at this press by the Benedictine nuns in residence, this collection includes, pamphlets and ephemera printed at the press, as well as specimen sheets of printing.
Consisting of more than 300 books by and about Louisa May Alcott. This collection has representative examples of almost all of Alcott's most popular works as well as a number of her lesser-known writings.
The Dr. George Levitine Collection consists of more than 2,000 volumes belonging to the late Dr. Levitine, a distinguished scholar of art history and founding chair of the Department of Art History at the University of Maryland. The Rare Books department received several hundred works dating from the 16th to the 19th centuries.
The R.D. Remley Collection
The collection of this hobby printer includes 1,500 volumes of books, serials and ephemera related to all aspects of book making.
This collection includes 300 books from 33 different series, dating from 1917-1980.
The Turret Press specialized in publishing limited edition series of booklets of contemporary poets. This collection covers the period of time during the Press' existence, 1965- 1975.