Billing & Fines
There are several types of notices that you may receive. Please follow the instructions in the email to avoid late fees.
Types of email notices include:
- Courtesy Notice or reminder of due dates
- UM Libraries Overdue material notices
- UM Libraries Bill for Overdue Materials
- Loan Recall notices (see Recalled Library Materials for more information)
Please note that email notices are sent as a courtesy and they are not available to borrowers who do not provide an email address. Failure to get a notice does not change the obligation of the borrower to return or renew the material on time. It is the responsibility of the borrower to update their contact information. See Updating Your Contact Information for more information.
Note: We no longer send notices through the mail.
For questions concerning a notice, please use the Billing Inquiry Form.
|Material Type||Overdue Fines||Maximum Fine|
|Nonprint Media material||$5.00/day||$500.00|
|Interlibrary loan material||
NOTE: overdue fines are not charged, but privileges are blocked and $205 replacement+processing fee charged
Materials requested from another USMAI library
|NOTE: fines are administered by the owning library|
|Equipment Type||Overdue Fines||Maximum Fine||Replacement Fee|
|iPads, Tablets, DSLR Cameras||$5.00/hour||$350.00||$600.00|
|Chargers, Headphones, Calculators, or Other Accessories||$3.00/hour||$200.00||$100.00|
|Cameras and Projectors||$5.00/hour||$100.00||$350.00|
Note: Once equipment is late enough to be marked "Lost," you will be charged the full replacement fee. When the equipment is returned, a portion ($500 for laptops, $250 for tablets) will remain on your account as a "Lost Equipment Processing Fee."
|Lost Material Processing Fee||$35.00|
|Lost Material Replacement Fee||$170.00|
|Damaged Material||Cost recovery for repair|
If you receive an overdue notice:
- for UMD (College Park) items, please complete the Billing Inquiry Form. We will route your request to the billing supervisor at the owning library.
- for USMAI items, please contact the billing supervisor at the owning library.
- charges may be negotiable if you supply an acceptable replacement
- bring back the lost item if found; some charges may be cancelled
- damage charges depend on the value of the item and the extent of damage as assessed by the Libraries.
- for books, processing and replacement fees will be charged at 31 days overdue; this period varies for equipment and other material types
Please use the Billing Inquiry Form to inquire about library fines, charges or overdue notices.
Bills are sent to you by the University of Maryland Office of the Bursar. Please note that unpaid bills:
- may block your library privileges
- may block course registration
- may block graduation
- may block transcripts
- are sent to a collection agency twice a year