Borrowers should return Top Textbooks and other course reserve items to the service point the items were borrowed from (McKeldin Reserves to the Library Services Desk in McKeldin, MSPAL course reserves to the MSPAL Desk, etc.).
Remember, course reserves are generally only loaned to you for 2-hours, 4-hours, or 24-hours. Course reserve fines may be assessed hourly, so it is important to return them on time to library staff. Do not return course reserves in a book drop.
Borrowers should return equipment and Keys to the service point the equipment was borrowed from (TLC Equipment to the TLC Tech Desk, STEM equipment to the STEM Library Desk, Etc).
Equipment fines may be assessed hourly, so it is important to return it on time to library staff. Do not place equipment or keys in a book drop.
Borrowers should return library materials by the due date shown in My Account
- Interlibrary loan (ILL) items can be returned at any UMD library except Hornbake and Severn Libraries.
- All other books and media may be returned to any UMD library except Hornbake and Severn Libraries. They may also be returned to the libraries at any of the other USMAI campuses.
- Note for audiovisual media and other fragile items: to avoid damage, please return these items to a library service desk (preferably at the owning location). Do not use book drops.
Shipping: You may return College Park owned library books through the mail. We suggest using a traceable method, as you are still responsible for the book until it arrives and is checked in. In addition, the book must arrive before the day it is due or there may be fees associated with the return.
Our address is:
Attn: Library Services
7649 Library Lane
College Park, MD 20742
If you are in a hurry or if the libraries are closed, book drops are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Course reserves, equipment, and audio/visual media should NOT be returned in book drops.
- The use of book drops may damage library materials. Please return books directly to any library service desk whenever possible.
- Large numbers of books should be returned at a service point if possible to avoid overloading the book drops.
- If a book drop is full, call 301-405-9046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not leave library materials outside.
- All book drop locations are wheelchair-accessible.
Book Drop Locations
- McKeldin Library (book drops located at front entrance and at the south side loading dock)
- Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library
- STEM Library (located outside in back of Kirwan hall, on the ground floor near the elevator)
Book drops at the following locations are available during building operating hours:
When your checked-out items are checked in, you’ll get a return receipt by email. If you do not receive an email within 15 minutes of returning an item at a service point or within one business day of returning an item in a book drop (excluding university holidays), check your My Account page then use the billing inquiry form if the returned item is still on loan to you.