Borrow Books and Media
Borrowing eligibility and loan periods are determined by your status and affiliation. For more information about your level of access, see Borrowing Privileges.
As a borrower, it is your responsibility to:
- Keep borrowed items in good physical condition
- Be aware of the library materials' due date as shown in My Account
- Return or renew library materials by the due date
- Return recalled material by its recall due date as shown in My Account
- Inform the Library and the Registrar's Office of any changes to your name, address, or phone number -- see Help with My Accounts
- Report a lost card immediately to the Library and the Registrar's Office
- Show damage to the library service desk staff before borrowing, to avoid paying charges for pre-existing damage
- Pay any charges assessed to you or fill out the Billing Inquiry Form if you believe that they have been made in error
You should not :
- Loan your UMD ID or other type of borrower card to anyone else to use
- Deface library materials
- Write, underline, or use a highlighter in library materials
- Fold, cut, or tear pages from library materials
- Leave paper clips or self-adhesive notes in library materials when returning items
Please bring any items you wish to check out to a library service desk along with your required ID (see Borrowing Privileges).
If you have requested items through the University Libraries, you will receive an email when it is available for pick up. Please come to the location listed in the email you received.
- Items will be held at library service desks at each pickup location.
- Items requested from UMCP & USMAI locations will be held for 10 days before being returned to their home library
- ILL items will be held for 30 days before being returned to their home library
Most material may be renewed online 24/7 in My Account. Materials that cannot be renewed online include:
- Materials recalled by another patron or library department
- Materials that are more than 30 days overdue
- Materials that have reached a renewal limit imposed by the owning library
- Materials that must renewed in person with the item in hand
Please note that:
- Equipment, interlibrary loan items, course reserve items, or special loans are not available for renewal.
- 2-hour or 4-hour reserve items must be on the shelf for 30 minutes before they can be checked out again by the same borrower. 24-hour items must be on the shelf for one hour before they can be checked out again by the same borrower.
- If you are unable to renew online, you may visit any UMD library or any other USMAI library for assistance.
- We are unable to renew items at our service desks unless we have the item in hand.
Help with My Account for renewal instructions
Recalled materials are items that another patron has requested to use that you currently have checked out. When that person recalls your item, the due date on your item will be shortened and you will be notified by email. This email shows the new due date which is either the original due date or 14 days from the notice date (whichever is sooner).
- Recall fines are $5 per day for every day the book is kept past the recall due date
- There is no grace period for recalls. The fines begin the first day the book is not returned after the revised due date.
- An overdue recall item blocks library services for you until all overdue recalled items are returned
Billing & Fines