Course Reserves: Information for Students
Table of Contents
Course Reserves provides you with access to essential readings and media for your classes as requested by your instructor.
Items on reserve fall into 3 basic categories:
- Electronic Reserves (e-reserves) consists of articles in e-journals or databases and PDFs of scanned articles or book chapters. E-reserves may be accessed from anywhere through ELMS.
- Book and Media Reserves consists of books, CDs, videos, and other physical items available for short term loan. To access these materials you will need to use ELMS to determine which library service desk or kiosk holds the item you need.
- Streaming Media Reserves provides video and audio within the Online Media Reserves module within ELMS.
Identifying and Locating Materials
Course Reserves are made available through your course in ELMS.
Many Course Reserves items are available for download or online viewing. Hard copies, such as books, will have the library and call number when you click the title. Bring this information with you to the relevant library service desk to retrieve the material.
If you have any problems accessing materials, please see our Reserves Help page.
Books and Media on Reserve
Books and media on reserve are available at the various UMD libraries.Check your course in ELMS to determine which library has the items you need. Alternately, if your course is among the largest on campus, your textbook may be available through our Top Textbooks program. In general, the following policies apply:
Borrowing Reserves Materials
- Items are available for either a 2 hour or 24 hour loan period as requested by your instructor.
- You will need your photo ID to borrow items on reserve.
- All reserves materials must be returned to the library services desk or kiosk from which they were borrowed.
Renewing Reserves Materials
In general, an item on 2-hour reserve may be renewed in person as often as the borrower wishes, as long as there are no other requests for it. Users of 24-hour reserve items must wait one day after returning an item before checking it out again. Note: Reserves items may be renewed only at the library services desk from which they were borrowed and cannot be renewed in My Account.
Fines for Reserves Materials
Overdue fines for Course Reserves books are higher than normal library materials ($5.00/hour, up to a maximum of $50). This increased fee is designed to ensure these books remain available to as many students as possible.
Also note that when an item is 1 day overdue it will be declared "Lost," a $125 replacement and processing fee will be charged, and the borrower's account will be blocked.
Please remember that you are responsible for items you borrow. Handle each item with care and return it promptly. A fine may be imposed for mishandled or damaged materials.