Lending to Other Libraries
Interlibrary Loan provides libraries throughout the world with access to UMCP collections.
This information is for borrowing institutions only, not individual users.
What We Provide
- Loan periods of 12 weeks for circulating books, and 16 week loan periods for members of the Big Ten Academic Alliance
- Loan periods of 12 weeks for circulating media at the Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library
- Non-circulating items such as microforms and bound periodicals may be loaned up to 28 days. Please note: non-circulating items should be in-library use only and will have no renewals.
- Electronic copies: $15.00 (1.5 IFLA)
- Loans within the US: $20.00
- Loans to Canada: $30.00 (3 IFLA)
- Other International Loans: $40.00 (4 IFLA)
Libraries with which we are affiliated through the Big Ten, CIRLA, RapidILL ARL reciprocal pod, and Maryland libraries are exempt from these charges. The UMD Libraries have lending relationships with several public libraries and community colleges within the state of Maryland. To learn more about these relationships email: email@example.com
OCLC SHARES affiliates are charged $10 for articles and for loan requests within North America, and $30 for loan requests outside of North America.
We accept the payment for services rendered via OCLC IFM, check, credit card, & IFLA vouchers.
Please submit requests using our OCLC symbol: UMC. If you do not participate in OCLC lending, please create an account with us. To submit a request, please use our ILLiad Lending form. This form is for borrowing institutions only, not individual users.
- Archival materials, e-books, maps, atlases, and over-sized materials are unavailable for lending at this time.
- No rush service is available (i.e., overnight shipping, same day delivery, in person pickup, etc.)
Articles or copies may be sent to our Odyssey address: docdel.umd.edu/ILL. For loans please send by UPS, FedEx, USPS, or international mail to the following address:
McKeldin Library - ILL
University of Maryland
7649 Library Lane
College Park, MD 20742
Deliver electronic copies within 1-4 business days.
Ship loans within 1-4 business days (USPS for U.S. libraries; UPS for international libraries)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. This institution reserves the right to refuse to fill a copy request if, in its judgment, doing so would involve violation of copyright law.